Our Wayfinding Program volunteers respond to calls seeking assistance on behalf of a family member or friend living in a long-term care home. For information on choosing a long-term care home, navigating a complex system, or resources for resolving a problem within a home contact us by email or call our answering service to leave a message at 416-489-0146 (toll-free at 1-855-489-0146). The phone is monitored Monday to Friday and a volunteer will respond within 48 hours.

Getting Help at Home or Finding Long-Term Care

The Ontario government provides home and community care services through the agency known as Home and Community Care Support Services.” This agency is sometimes referred to as “LHIN” and was formerly known as “CCAC.” If you have a friend or loved one who needs support at home or placement to a Long-Term Care Home, this is the agency you must contact. Referrals can be made by a health-care professional, a family member or friend, or even by the individual themselves. Visit THIS PAGE to find the local branch office that services where the patient lives. Once you are on your local page, navigate to the “Contact Us” tab to find the correct phone number to call. You will be assigned a Care Coordinator and the person who requires services or a referral to LTC will be assessed for eligibility for placement.

Choosing a Long-Term Care (LTC) Home

    • Our  guidance information Choosing a LTC Home and Checklist  has been compiled based on industry knowledge and represents the expressed opinions of Concerned Friends volunteers. Click here to access a printable version of this information.
    • To locate the long-term care homes within a given radius, an interactive map is  searchable by postal code. This site provides information such as number of beds, who operates the home, home type (for-profit, non-profit, municipal), whether the facility is accredited, designated under the French Language Services Act, date of last inspection and inspection reports.
    • Health Quality Ontario provides data on wait times for admission to long-term care homes, the quality of resident care, and other measures of long-term care home performance.

Long-Term Care Home Residents’ Rights and Complaint Process

In Ontario, long-term care homes must follow a law called the Long-Term Care Homes Act. It includes a Residents’ Bill of Rights to make sure that long-term care homes are truly homes for the people who live in them. Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) and the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE) developed a user-friendly guidance document Resident Bill of Rights.

When you feel your rights have not been met you can make a complaint to the ministry. Click here for more information. The ministry will respond quickly to urgent complaints — in some cases, on the same day. For non-urgent complaints, contacting a home directly is often the best and fastest way to address a problem.

Additional Helpful Links

Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE)

Dementiability Enterprises Inc

Elder Abuse Ontario

Family Council Ontario (FCO)

Ontario Association of Residents’ Council (OARC)

Ontario Health Coalition (OHC)

Ontario Society of Senior Citizens Organizations (OCSCO)

Advance Care Planning Ontario

Alzheimer Society of Canada

Alzheimer Society of Ontario

Behavioural Supports Ontario (BSO)

Canadian Association of Retired Persons (CARP)

Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI): Your Health System

Elder Abuse Prevention Ontario

Care Watch Ontario

Ontario Health

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

Ontario Centres for Learning, Research and Innovation in Long-Term Care (CLRI)

Home Care Ontario

Preparing Your Home for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s: A Caregiver’s Guide
A helpful guide, though developed for Americans, with tips to make your home dementia-friendly.


Join our Mailing List

* indicates required